Veteran's Administration Benefits




Veteran's Advising Hours

Monday & Tuesday: 1 - 6 pm

Wednesday & Thursday 1 - 4 pm


1). Unsure of eligibility for benefits?

  1. Call the VA at 1-800-827-1000 or 1-888-442-4551

2). Complete the On-Line Application (VONAPP) at

  1. Click "Apply for Benefits" at the bottom of the page
  2. Click "Apply On-Line"
  3. Click "Launch VONAPP"
  4. Complete VONAPP
  5. Before sending, print 2 copies of VONAPP
  • One copy for your file
  • Present one copy to GC Certifying Official
  1. Submit VONAPP to the VA

3). Submit other required documents to GC VA Certifying Official

  1. Member copy 4 of DD214
  2. Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
  3. Ch 1607 recipients - copy of orders or DD214
  4. Copy of "kicker contract" (if applicable)
  5. Copy of military transcript

To receive educational benefits, the courses you take must be on your degree plan. You should speak with the GC Certifying Official at least once per semester to ensure that you are taking the appropriate courses or you may monitor your progress toward graduation by running a degree audit in Campus Connect. You must request that your benefits be certified each semester either by email or in person with the GC Certifying Official.


To maintain your eligibility:

  • You must follow a VA approved degree or certificate plan of study. Non-credit classes do not qualify.
  • Must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 as listed under the Scholastic Standards for Academic Probation and Suspension as found in the GC catalog. A GPA below a 2.0 for the second long semester will be reported to the VA.
  • Courses may be claimed for pay only one time whether taken at GC or transferred from another institution.
  • Only courses specifically listed on a degree plan may be certified for payment. Courses taken for a student's own personal enrichment will not be eligible for payment.
  • Course substitution forms must be processed and approved by the Division Dean before the substituted course is claimed for payment.
  • Veterans and other eligible persons can receive pay for remedial/developmental classes taken when a need can be shown (THEA or COMPAS scores). The pay received is taken from the total entitlement.
  • If you change your major you must submit a change of major form to the GC records office and change your major electronically with the VA by going to the VONAPP and completing Form 22-1995 if you are a veteran or Form 22-5495 if you are a dependent/spouse of an eligible veteran.


NOTE: The certification process takes several weeks. Actual payment may take 2 to 3 months - you must make adequate arrangements to cover cost. Once enrolled maintain close contact with the VA Certifying Official. All class schedule changes must be reported - drop/adds may affect your monetary award. See for VA requirements (except for Post 9/11 and dependents benefits, verification is required each month on the WAVE system or by calling 1-877-823-2378).


Veterans Office
2nd Floor Life Center
(903) 415-2615


Office Hours

Monday and Tuesday: 8:00 - 6:00 pm

Wednesday through Friday: 8:00 - 4:00 pm


Quick Links for Veterans


Department of Veterans Affairs (


Military Friendly Schools Award 2010

The Military Friendly Schools award for 2010 was presented to Veterans Affairs Counselor, Jean Metcalf by G.I. Jobs magazine.
The honor places GC in the top 15% of all schools nationwide.