Peer Tutoring Services are offered free of charge to currently enrolled GC students. Students are eligible to receive peer tutoring for any course in which they are currently enrolled. Tutoring Services strives to have qualified tutors for all college programs.*
Requesting a Tutor
Upswing Tutoring is located in your My Viking portal. Log in using your Grayson username and password. Click Meet with a tutor. Search by course or by tutor's name.
- Make note of the location for in-person tutoring sessions when scheduling a session.
- At the Main Campus in Denison, all sessions are held in the Testing/Tutoring Center (Student Success Center) during regularly scheduled hours unless resources in another campus facility are needed.
- At the South Campus, sessions are held in the Success Center (B121) during regularly scheduled hours unless resources in another campus facility are needed.
- Grayson Peer Tutors are available for in-person sessions. Some Grayson Peer Tutors choose to be available online as well. Check each tutor's schedule for specific availability.
- Upswing Coaches/Tutors are available for online sessions 24/7 including nights/weekends/holidays. Check each tutor's schedule for specific availability.
- Always login to cancel a session if unable to attend, whether in-person or online. Provide as much notice as possible to free up that tutor's schedule for other students.
- Most Grayson Peer Tutors are currently enrolled at Grayson College. Scheduling in-person sessions 48 hours in advance provides the tutors with adequate time to respond.
*Tutoring Services cannot be held responsible if, after a reasonable search, no qualified tutor is available.
*For help with in-person Math tutoring sessions, contact Margo Carr, Math Hub Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tutoring Center Contact Information
6101 Grayson Drive, Hwy 691
Denison, TX 75020
1455 West Van Alstyne Parkway
Van Alstyne, TX 75495
Interested in becoming a Tutor? Contact the Tutor Coordinator at email@example.com.
Tutor Eligibility Summary:
- Tutors must have a U.S. Social Security card issued by the Social Security Administration. Documents to establish identity are also required.
- Applicants are eligible to become a tutor after earning a GPA of 3.0 at Grayson College (GC) and earning a GPA of 4.0 in any course they wish to tutor.
- Applicants should be TSI complete in reading, writing, and math.
- To be considered for employment as a tutor, a faculty recommendation is needed. This should be a professor who has knowledge of the applicant's skill level in the course/s the applicant will tutor. Interested applicants should list a GC faculty member on the application form. The Tutor Coordinator will follow up with faculty.
- Tutors are required to participate in training sessions, which are an integral part of GC's tutor certification program. GC's tutoring program is certified by a nationally recognized organization, College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).
- Tutoring sessions are scheduled around tutor/tutee class schedules each semester. Based on available times of tutors and tutees, in-person sessions occur during hours when the Testing Center/Tutoring Center is open. Hours of work cannot exceed 15 hours per week. Tutors should be available for appointments a minimum of 3 hours per week.